I've sent them 2 customer service tickets, a fast one on Saturday afternoon, and one slightly more demanding more than 24 hours later on Sunday.
Current Outage: server ___ being moved to new hardware (updated 40 mins 36 secs ago)
We're very sorry for the issues you've been having with your service for the last couple of days. As you should have already been notfied, the server you're on, "___" has been having stability issues. The machine had a hard drive failure and we've moved it to new hardware. We are in the process of copying data to the new machine now. Unfortunately, during this process the new server has been experiencing higher than normal loads under the increased strain of the data copying over, in addition to its normal functions. Our admin team has been working tirelessly to get this server running smoothly again. We've already added extra CPU to it and are now in the process of moving it to a faster connection. The faster connection should hopefully give the server some more breathing room to serve files and decrease the amount of time the restore will take.
The 'bad_httpd_conf' errors have been caused by our updates not being able to run due to the server load. We're hoping that once we're able to get the faster network connection setup on the server that the last of these will be resolved. We'll update the status on this again once the new network connection is in place, or if we have any new information regarding the failing updates.
We appreciate your patience while we get the remaining issuese on this server worked out. The amount of support this issue has generated has gotten us a little behind on replying. If you submitted a support request regarding this issue, we are doing our best to get back to you ASAP.
May 1st update:
We're very sorry for the continued issues you've been having with your service. As you are already aware, the server you're on, "___" has been having stability issues. The machine had a hard drive failure and we've moved it to new hardware. We are in the process of copying data to the new machine now. Unfortunately, during this process the new server has been experiencing higher than normal loads under the increased strain of the data copying over, in addition to its normal functions.
We've upgraded the servers network connection yesterday so the restore is going a lot quicker, but that didn't do anything to improve the stability, unfortunately. Our admin team has been trying several things through the night to get this server running smoothly again and will continue to focus on the machine until it is working like it should.
I am expecting some good monetary compensation for this whole fail fiasco of theirs :V
*edit1* Right after I made this post they finally responded to my latter ticket. They said they've credited 2 months of service to my account,
*edit2* Update from the control panel posted above~ I was able to access Too Many Penguins today, but by luck it seems... and other sites are still having the old problem (ex: Majinken, and my lyrics site is showing 404 for some crappy reason). Server is still incredibly unstable for now.
*edit3* May 1, 4:45pm
The pmsinfirm sites should all be up and running for the most part now! There is still a slow response though so it'll need some time to even out back to running as normal.
*edit4* May 7
Some of my bigger sites (Majinken) are still having problems occasionally but everything else seems to be fine for now. I've received a general email from Dreamhost that they will be doing vast improvements to the security and network infrastructure by the end of the month to prevent such a fiasco from happening again. Let's hope they go by their word!